Dearest Everett-
You are thirteen years old today. A TEENAGER! What the what?! I swear this was yesterday. Don't blink, they say!
The biggest change this past year is probably that you started middle school! You were so ready for a change from elementary school, so it's been a pretty easy transition for you. You have quite a few friends in most of your classes, which really helps ease those middle school scaries. You have enjoyed most of your classes so far, especially foods class and design and modeling. We've had fun recreating some of your favorite recipes at home. You played on the school rec basketball team this winter and really seemed to enjoy hanging with your friends, shooting hoops. You also hate getting your picture taken, so most of the time I get this look from you.
You officially passed me in height this year, making me the shortest member of the Smith family. How rude! Just kidding - I could tell early on based on your giant feet that you would pass me eventually. You also really enjoy lifting weights, both at school and home, so you'll be able to whip my butt in no time!

I know the teenage years can be scary for parents, but you are proving to be an easy going dude who doesn't really get worked up about much. You still have that spice every now and then, but your laid back personality typically shines through. You've never cared much about what you wear, and I can hardly get you to comb your hair, but the night before the first day of school you decided you needed a certain "fit." It had to be a white shirt with these powder blue shorts. Well, we had the shorts, but you didn't have a white shirt that worked with the vision in your head. It was nearly 9pm and suddenly you cared about what you wore to school. Thankfully that phase was short lived, and you're back to your old self. I asked what you wanted to do for your birthday this year, and you said dinner and a movie with a couple friends. I asked if you wanted to have more friends come along, and you said, "Bigger is not always better, Mom." Isn't that the truth?!

This fall you played your second season of tackle football with the Cougars. You again found your home on defense and loved racking up those sacks and tackles for loss. I say this every year, but nothing brings me more joy than watching you do the thing you love. Next year you are moving on to middle school football!
Speaking of football, our Chiefs won yet another Super Bowl this year, and it was an overtime nail biter! You are my go-to guy for anything football related. You understand the rules better than most people I know, and you are always the first to give me the scoop on various trades happening around the league. I think you have a future as an analyst! I love that football has become a common interest between all of us in the Smith house.
Thank you for completing our family thirteen years ago today. Your quiet disposition is a great compliment to your (much) louder brother, although you do have your loud moments! You have always been just the right amount of sweet and spicy. I love getting to have a front row seat to watch all the amazing things you do in life, and I can't wait to see what's next!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment