Dearest Cooper-
You are sixteen years old today. Sixteen. I think I need to sit on this one for a while. Every milestone in your life has felt significant, but this one hits a little different for some reason. It's just all been too fast.

The biggest milestone for you this past year was definitely getting your restricted license and hitting the road in "Black Mamba." Up until today, you could only drive to and from school things, but now you have FREEDOM! You are actually a pretty good driver, which is surprising, if I'm being honest. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I thought you'd be a little more distracted on the road. I only slam on my pretend passenger seat break every once in a while now instead of every second like when you first started. I'm not sure how I feel about you driving all over town, but you are sure excited about it.

School was pretty "meh" for you this year, but you did end up with your best GPA ever. You didn't really love your classes, but ended up working really hard to keep your grades up. You still want to be a high school teacher, so next year you will get to start taking the teacher ed classes. I think you will really enjoy getting to go into schools and see what teaching is all about. I don't know if you'll end up in that field as a career, but it's fun to see you get excited about your future. I do think you'd make an amazing teacher, but it's certainly not a career for the faint of heart!


You loved playing football again this past year and ended up switching from defense to offense mid season. You really found your home on the offensive line and loved being a part of that group. I was so in awe of the way you just rolled with the punches that came from various things that were out of your control. It all worked out for the best, and you are thriving in your new position. Team camp started this week and you are loving it. I can't wait to see you play in the fall!
You decided a few years back to start rooting for the worst team in football - the Detroit Lions. You've always loved an underdog story. Through some luck and amazing draft picks, they became one of the best teams in football this past season. We had a blast watching them, and we were really pulling for a Chiefs-Lions Super Bowl, but that wasn't in the cards this year. You sure do look cute in that Lions blue!
I mean it when I say you have been an absolute delight to parents in these teenage years. Sure, we've had our moments of frustration (usually on early morning school days) but you have really grown into an incredible young man these past few years. You are unapologetically yourself, and you don't really conform to what everyone else around you is doing. (See Lions fan above) This can be very hard as a teenager, but you are starting to figure out that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

You have really got into all things history and politics over the past few years. You taught me so many things about various historical or current events around the world, and you always seem to have a fun fact about something. History has never been a strong interest for me, but you have a way of making it all seem more interesting. You have definitely taught me way more than I will ever teach you when it comes to this topic. I love having conversations with you about things you're passionate about. You have such a brilliant mind, and I hope you always continue to share your knowledge with others. If you do decide to become a teacher someday, those kids would be so lucky to get to learn from you.
Thank you for making me a mom sixteen years ago and starting us on the journey of a lifetime. I hope you continue to let that light shine bright, no matter what anyone else around you says. It is such a joy to be your mom, even if I do complain about making dinner ever. single. night.
Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment