Dearest Cooper-
You are eighteen today - actually it was almost a month ago because somehow your mom dropped the ball on your very last birthday letter. Oops! Better late than never, right? But seriously, how are you a full grown adult?! Weren't you just graduating from preschool yesterday?
I said in a post on your birthday that when you're in the thick of parenting little kids, it's just so hard to imagine ever getting to this place where your kid is a full on adult. The days were SO long sometimes when you were little, but then it feels like the last four years went by in a blink. The high school chapter was my favorite one yet, and I've just loved having a front row seat to watch you find your stride. You had an amazing senior year, and I think you'd say it was your favorite year yet.
You had another great football season, and your team went all the way to the quarter finals of state again this year. Unfortunately you had a season ending injury during the second to last game of the year when you dislocated your elbow. It was one of those scenes where everyone ran on the field with all the medical equipment, people surrounded you for what seemed like an eternity, while we sat in the stands having no idea what happened. When we finally saw your legs move, I burst into tears. I automatically thought the worst, so I was so thankful for the little sign that things were probably going to be ok. Right before you got up, your coach said, "You need to pump up this crowd" so you go to your feet and threw your (good) fist into the air. I have no idea how you kept a smile on your face through it all. It was a sad way to end your football career, but what an amazing four years! You went from never playing a down of football your freshman year, to starting nearly every snap your junior and senior year. You were an All Sunflower League offensive lineman and also received the Sunflower State Stalwart award. I'm so proud of all the hard work you put into learning the game and will forever be grateful for all of our Friday nights under the lights.
Everett was moved up to varsity for the playoff run, and it was so much fun getting to see the two of you suit up and run out of the tunnel together. I never imagined the two of you would get to play together, so it was an amazing experience for everyone. While we were in the emergency room dealing with your arm, Everett was able to hold the regional champ plaque in your place. Such fun memories for you two!
![]() |
You're headed to K-State in the fall to study secondary education, and I couldn't be more excited for you. As of now, you want to teach high school history, but are also keeping your options open. I tried to not sway your decision and told you we could visit whatever colleges you wanted, but you were set on KSU. Definitely not mad about that! You're living in the dorms with a friend you've known since second grade, and I think it will be a great match. I can't wait for you to experience all the things that Manhappiness has to offer, and I know some grandparents that are really excited to have you in town, too!
I know every parent probably feels this way, but getting to be your mom has been one of the greatest joy of my life. I know it doesn't end just because you are an adult, and I have a feeling some of the best times are yet to come. Things will be different in a few months, and it's going to take some getting used to around here. I'll miss your daily "crash" through the door after school or work, usually singing some song, or ready to tell me some crazy story about your day. I'm just so dang proud of the person you're becoming, and I feel so lucky to get to say I've raised some of my very favorite people on earth. The next year will have some major changes for everyone, but I'll be there on the front row cheering you on in whatever you choose to do.
Love, Mom







No comments:
Post a Comment