Friday, May 23, 2025

fourteen

Dearest Everett-

Well, it happened. After nearly seventeen years of writing these birthday posts for you and your brother, I finally forgot one. I'm honestly surprised it took this long. So, today you are fourteen years, and a couple months- Yahoo! Even though I forgot your birthday post, it doesn't mean this past year was any less important. (It just means your mom is getting old.) 


You are getting ready to wrap up your middle school career, which of course has gone by in the blink of an eye. You have always been an outstanding student, and that was no different in middle school. You earned nearly straight As for both years, and made it all look incredibly easy. Your "math brain" is so impressive, and you even helped Coop out with some of his math homework a time or two. You enjoyed your woodworking class, design and modeling, and FACS. You currently want to do something in the design or construction field, which thrills me to no end! You described this year as "fire" which I've learned is the highest compliment a teenager can give. So I'd say it was a success!

This year was the first year for middle school football, so it was fun to get to be a part of the inaugural season. You started on the o line for the entire season, but I think your first love will always be in the defensive trenches. You joined Cooper at early morning weights at the high school this spring, and you are super excited to start Cougar football this summer. You attended your first draft, which kicks off the high school season, and you were shocked and excited to be the first eighth grader drafted. Your brother was equally excited to have you on his team. I love the bond you've created over football. I can't wait to watch you play next year!

One major milestone that happened this year is you got your learners permit. You've been driving mostly with your dad because I'm a little bit of a nervous Nelly with new drivers. The first time I tried to teach you how to drive in GT and VV's pasture, I forgot to have you put on your seatbelt. Clearly I'm not fit to be a driving instructor! You did drive the whole family to get smoothies, and you did a fabulous job. It seems crazy that we will soon have four cars and four drivers in our house!

You've found a new favorite hobby this past year - fishing. You started out with a hand me down pole from GT, but have since upgraded to not one, but two fancy poles. You researched and reviewed so many options before deciding on which ones would be best. You love going out with your friends, and even if the fish aren't biting, you seem to be in your happy place when you're out there. 


I probably say this every year, but it's absolutely true. You are such a joy to parent, and I love every second of watching you grow up. I can't wait to watch you soar in high school. I know how fast it goes, so I'm just going to try to soak up every second. You are a gem of a human, and I'm so lucky to get to be your mom.

Love,

Mom

No comments: