Saturday, June 7, 2025

seventeen

 Dearest Cooper-

You are seventeen years old today. Gulp. How did we get here? They weren't lying when they said, "Don't blink."

This past year has been one of my all time favorites of your entire life. I don't care what people say, teenagers are so much fun. Sophomore year was full of ups and down, and was awful at times, but your junior year was just fantastic. Probably one of the best ones yet. You've matured so much over the past year and are one of the very best people I know. 

You make me laugh every single day with your witty banter, and your knowledge of current events and historical facts is incredible. You are very passionate about your political views, and you love to have conversations about the craziness in the world. You are always coming home with something wild and crazy to discuss. You've always had a brilliant mind, and I think this year you've finally realized it. It's been fun to get to watch unfold.

One of the highlights of this year was an incredible football season with the Cougars. After just two seasons of playing football, you earned the starting varsity spot at offensive left tackle. I've never seen you as nervous as you were before that first Friday night game. You were pacing around the house like a crazy person! But after a few snaps, you settled in ,and you guys came away with a huge victory.  That started a magical season that ended as regional champs and 6th in the state. You started every game and played nearly every offensive snap. It is beyond amazing to think about how far you've come in just a couple years of playing. I cannot wait for your senior season!


This upcoming year will be super special because it will be the only time you and Everett will be in high school together, and play football together. We had the NW football draft a couple weeks ago, and you were so excited to get to draft Everett onto your summer team. You've been talking about getting him on your team for an entire year. It's fun to see you both head off to early morning weights together each day. I hope you're still as excited at the end of the summer after spending it with your brother!



A big change this past year is you got your first job! You're worked in the school year at an after school program, and now you're working with the same group at their summer program. No surprise, the kids absolutely love you. You still are thinking you want to be a teacher, so this will give you a really good idea  of whether you want to stick with that idea. It will keep you super busy this summer, but the paychecks make it worthwhile!


Seventeen years ago you made me a mom and started what would become the adventure of a lifetime. I love being a mom more than anything in the world, and you I'm so glad I get to be on this ride with you. I can't wait to see what comes next!!


Love,
Mom



No comments: